things that are making me happy
Despite the weariness, there is a lot to be happy about at this time of year.
And sometimes it’s best to ruffle through the exhaustion and focus on the happy things…like the pre-school decorations that are both giddy and haphazard, the heartfelt gestures of 71,000 Australians, the fact that we have a roof over our head, food in our fridge and a Christmas to celebrate.
We so easily loose sight of the good at this time of year because we’re so focused on the to-dos.
And so a happy list, if you will:
- a canopy set up in the backyard for a photoshoot; a new-found cubby for a little daydreamer
- carols playing on repeat
- the rain that broke the intense heat and humidity
- the audible sigh from the grass and plants and trees because there’s nothing quite like a summer soaking
- pine needles on the floor, carrying their scent when they’re walked through the house
- fresh beeswax candles ready for Christmas wish making
- excitable children who wonder and wait
- a new bolga basket for beach trips
- a much anticipated visit to the second-hand Christmas book fair which resulted in a box of holiday reads
- the kindness of a local blogger (Katie passed 10 issues of Taproot magazine onto me)
- this book and its celebration of small-town country Australia
- cherries and mangoes and pineapple and watermelon
- holidays…so close!
- a solo train trip with a cup of tea and a good book
What’s making you happy?