5 ways to simplify the school week
spontaneous beach days will have to wait for the weekends
The unpredictabilities of children are frustrating and fascinating and, well, normal. Che is a dreamer and isn’t particularly interested in organisation so I’ve really had to work on our school morning routine. Yesterday, before I left for yoga, I wrote down a list of chores with him over breakfast. Simple numbered sentences that he could read and follow, at his own pace. This boy of mine, he does everything in his own time and hurrying him often has an adverse affect. But he’s also at an age where he has responsibilities – and that includes getting to school on time. Lucky we both share a love of list making!
Let it be known that a simplified school week is still, at times, frenzied and tiring. Don’t set your hopes too high! Here’s five things that have made a difference to my experience as a school mum; simple tips that make things a little easier and smoother, even on the overwhelming days.
1. it’s Sunday evening – a little organisation goes a long way : perhaps it’s uncalled for to clean on Sundays but for me it ensures a fresh start to the school week. I spend about an hour on Sunday afternoons doing a quick, don’t-get-distracted clean. I start with a cup of tea in hand and go from room to room, often losing said tea in the process. School uniforms are readied, miscellany is put back in its rightful place, surfaces are cleared of clutter. Basically, I make space for the new week, and feel a little more prepared as a result.
2. create a list with your child and run through it a few times : school morning prep is much the same, every day. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy for your child to remember; especially if their current book is enthralling (“Just one more page, mum?”). I have really embraced the notion of handing over responsibility in the past few months, hence Che’s Sunday/school morning prep list (it’s stuck on his bedroom wall for easy reference). It includes:
- find school hat and put it in school bag
- find library books, put them in library bag, hang bag on hooks
- polish school shoes and put them next to school bag
- put reading folder in school bag
- get dressed, socks included
- brush teeth
Feel free to share your tips for a simple school week…